Thursday 19 May 2011

chinese cross stitch

chinese cross stitch by hallucygenia
chinese cross stitch, a photo by hallucygenia on Flickr.

Cross stitch seems to be popular in China; everywhere I've been there is at least one shop selling nothing but cross-stitch kits. Although cross-stitch is an import from the West (as the kit packet helpfully says), the designs are typically Chinese - mountains, cherry blossom, calligraphy, fish... I had to resist the temptation to buy several, as they tend towards the larger sizes (often a metre or so long). I went for this one of mountains and water because Joe likes it. It is remarkably like some of the traditional landscape paintings.

When I bought this kit, the lady in the shop helpfully drew a grid on the cloth for me. I think the lines won't come off (it looked like ordinary ballpoint), so it's a good thing it's on the back of the cloth. The grid does make it easier to keep my place in the design, but somehow it seems a bit like cheating.

As you can see, I have quite some way to go with the sewing yet, but at least it keeps me out of mischief.

No comments:

Post a Comment